Monday, April 30, 2007

Gore Place Sheepshearing Festival

I attended the Gore Place Sheepshearing Festival this past Saturday. It was a great time! They had a crafts fair, a "fiber tent" with tables from local yarn stores, a sheep dog demonstration, lots of food, and a petting zoo. I got to see plenty of sheep, alpacas, and goats. And to top it off, it didn't start raining until after the festival was over. Go Boston weather for cooperating for once!

I am also a ways into the back of the Nantucket Jacket. I started the armhole shaping this morning, so hopefully I will finish this piece soon. I want to try blocking the back out before I move on to the fronts, because I have heard that Berrocco Pure Merino stretches out after wet blocking. I wet blocked my swatch, and it did expand a bit, but it dried back to a normal size. I just want to make sure that nothing crazy will happen with the final product. I know I probably should have started with a sleeve, since that would have been a smaller piece to test out, but I started knitting the back first out of habit.

2 comments:

theatreknitter said...

I really love the jacket. It is now on my "things to knit" list, along iwth the new parasol from knitty. I work at the Pennsylvania Shakespeare Festival. I am heading into my third season with them, and probably (sadly) my last. I love them searly, but I start student teaching in Fall of 2008, so I will probably take next summer to work at a camp or something of the sort.

Oksana said...

The jacket looks beautiful so far! I didn't realize that the back had such interesting detail (must find that issue amidst my clutter!). And lucky you, attending a sheep shearing festival! That sound like a great time. 'Sounds like a good place to get some nice yarn...

I've just started reading your blog, so hello!